Tuesday, August 24, 2010

this is only the beginning...

Well, here it is, my final entry. I would’ve posted something sooner, but every time I went to type I just didn’t know where to start, or what to say, really. It has been my pleasure sharing my experiences in South Africa studying globalization, sport and development, and from what I hear many of you enjoyed it too ☺ So I’ll get right to the points of my last entry: What do I remember most about South Africa? What did I get out of this trip? Has my life been any different since I’ve come back to the states?
Since I’ve been back I’ve been a lot more interested in the continuing development in South Africa, and if the promises made to them (improved housing, reduced poverty, health initiatives) are being fulfilled. Articles about social upheaval and broken promises come out every month, and I nod my head in agreement, shake my head in disbelief, and hold my head in uncertainty.
Because of my experience with Whizzkids and conducting research about non-profit sectors and the impact sport has on development, I think that I want to take a sport and development direction for my career. I can’t put a finger on what exactly I want to do, but something along the lines of using sport to promote social change and good citizenship in youth sounds like a good start to me. I am inspired by my trip to South Africa, which has given my academic path of sport management a new purpose full of zeal and curiosity. Throughout my life I want to continue traveling to other countries where sport is promoting or has the potential to promote social change. I am enthused about the thought of a sport and development career because, as I learned, not only is it a remarkable thing to see, it’s a remarkable thing to be a part of.
I haven’t noticed a large difference in my life since I’ve been back, but I definitely feel like I’m more conscious of what’s happening around me. I work at a ballpark where we have a regular attendance of approx. 6,000 people every game. I work on party decks where we serve the party a buffet meal, and I see so many hot dogs and hamburgers, bags of buns, and pounds of potato salad thrown away at the end of the night. I didn’t like wasting food before my trip, but now I look away when someone goes to pitch the food because I can imagine the reaction people living in informal settlements and on the streets would have at this disposal. While sipping my ginger tea I look at my “Live Simply” tattoo with new appreciation of living with less. I couldn’t believe a couple weeks ago I had a whole day to shop in Chicago and hardly enjoyed the 13-story Macys and exclusive retail shops. I found more satisfaction donating money to the homeless than buying myself school necessities.
When people ask me what my favorite part about South Africa was, every time I reply “I don’t have a favorite,” because in all honesty I thoroughly enjoyed every moment, and every moment had its own significance. In retort, the person would then ask “Well, what were the three most memorable moments?” and I would smile and bite my lip in thought. I secretly love when people ask this question, because it allows me reminisce about every snapshot I have stored in my memory- foreign landscape, playing soccer with Whizzkids overlooking the Umlazi Township, the vibrant sunrises and sunsets, the crashing Indian tide, USA beating Algeria, and the faces of all those I met while I was there. I don’t think I’ve had the same response to any person about my favorite part of the trip, but I know that the thing I will remember most about this trip is the way it made me feel: intrigued by insight, enthused with discovery, loved by everyone, and fortunate to embark on all ventures of my life that had brought me to that country.

“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” - Rosalia de Castro

No comments:

Post a Comment