Friday, July 2, 2010

"Cookies so nice for breakfast, so nice" -Mama Dolly

Sorry it’s taken me a week to post, it’s been a combination of having a lot of lectures and higher priorities (a.k.a BIG research paper due in 2 weeks and slow internet connection). My topic is really cool though! I will be investigating how the World Cup has helped perpetuate the MDGs for South Africa, which are initiatives proposed by the UN for all developing nations, to be accomplished by 2015. Now for my quick re-cap of this past week:
Saturday was the USA vs. Ghana game. The group of 33 American SIT students went to the Durban Fan Fest (which is actually the biggest and most successful Fan Park not only of WC2010, but in all World Cup history!) and watched it amongst the South Africans who have been told to follow the “Africa United” campaign and support the Ghanaian Black Stars. Basically, our group was the target of directed celebration after both goals Ghana scored, and I have never felt so marginalized. On our ride home we talked about how uncomfortable it was to be a part of the minority, something I haven’t really experienced in the U.S. All the same, I knew going in to the match that I would be happy with either outcome, and I am behind Ghana to win it all.
Sunday was dreary so I watched one of my favorite movies Crash, with my host sister and her boyfriend, and we had a very insightful conversation about race. One of my favorite aspects of being here in a different country is being able to discuss our viewpoints about certain topics. Later that night I went to the movie theatre and saw the South African film “Survival Guide to South Africa”, a parody of South Africa’s social problems surrounding the world cup. Tuesday we had a practicum with high school kids and discussed how the facilities and opportunities to play and compete in sports differed from facilities and opportunities in America. Later in the afternoon we taught them how to play softball and had a mini tournament. Later we went out to watch the Japan/Paraguay and Spain/Portugal games, and found a restaurant with a hidden passage that opened up into a covered terrace with a fountain and projector screen that showed the matches -talk about a whole new kind of romance.
Wednesday night I showed my sister how to make chocolate chip cookies, and she kept looking in the oven, totally confused over what the heck a "cookie" was. With our cookies and some popcorn the family watched a movie and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the night. The next morning the breakfast table was set with all the regular foods and a big plate of cookies. Mama loved that the cookies could be eaten as a “sweet breakfast treat”, and by the time I came home they were all gone.
During the day on Thursday we had lecture then went to Chesterville Township to play soccer. We showed up at the field and were greeted by the boys of the Barcelona Project, a grassroots soccer team that were all about my age. We all knew it would be rough because we haven’t had the opportunity to exercise during any part of our 4-week stay since we arrived, and some didn’t even make it past warm-ups! But all in all the guys enjoyed having us because there are several D1/D2/D3 soccer players on the trip, and for those that have absolutely no soccer experience (me) they were amused at our attempts and insisted on calling me Torres instead of Tori. After that I went home and relaxed/fell asleep as my sister braided my whole head (it’s a part of my preparation for the rural stay). Today I woke up without a voice. Sickness is going around the group and I now have a scratchy sore throat to accompany the bug bites on my hand and face. I'm going to the doctor soon, so hopefully he'll make me feel better and I can enjoy my day a bit more! Phrase we say to stop complainers in the group: T.I.A.- This Is Africa (Get over it). Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment