Monday, May 17, 2010

what in the world is "Ke Nako", you ask?

Ke Nako is the title of my page. Translated, it means "It is time". The phrase is derived from Sotho, one of the 11 official languages spoken in South Africa, and the national language of Lesotho. It is a part of the slogan for the World Cup- Ke Nako-Celebrate Africa's Humanity
In my opinion, this slogan could not be any more correct. Africa has had a rather troubling history plagued with chaos, incivility, war and destruction that seems to overshadow the slightest bit of accomplishment that has been achieved. It is time that they show the progress and  development that has occurred, using South Africa as an international stage. By hosting the world's largest event, the African continent will be able to prove that they are a land rich in eagerness and humility, not a barren one that is so often portrayed by the media. K'naan's performance of the theme song Wavin' Flag is so awesome, and I truly believe that this sort of passion, pride, and energy is going to be evident everywhere I go over there. I wish I could "blue skadoo" right into that video, haha.
Another reason why I thought Ke Nako was fitting was because it just felt like I was in the right place at the right time when I stumbled upon the opportunity to go abroad. And although the caliber of this trip is intimidating and a bit nerve-racking, I think that it is time that I push past my comfortable boundaries to officially open my eyes to the rest of the world. The more I learn about South Africa the more I come to realize that this girl isn't going to have the security of an "Ada bubble" hide in while overseas. -But that's life, and I need to accept the truth for what it is. And so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment