Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Here goes nothing... or, everything? I don't understand that phrase.

I am FINALLY out of Grand Rapids! I feel like I was only moments away from overthrowing all airport/airline staff and flying a stinking plane out of there myself! An idea of how bad it was: flight originally scheduled for 6:45 a.m. was delayed 2 times, so I went to the airport at 9:15 or so because my flight wasn't going to depart until 10:45 a.m. Waiting at the gate, a plane from Chicago pulled in because it was diverted from Detroit due to bad weather. My plane was further delayed until 11:30 because of mechanical errors, and the flight leaving for Atlanta at 11:40 was supposed leave after mine-10 minutes, big whoop. Either way, I know my original flight didn't leave before the 11:40 one, it's actually probably still there. I quickly left the pity party of Detroit-bound people who had to wait a "long time" for parts to come in because their aircraft was "severely damaged, and switched flights. The flight was rather smooth, and above all the clouds was a vastly sunny sky. However since I’ve arrived in ATL I have felt my nerves take over.
I don’t know if it’s the reality that I am going to a strange country for 6 weeks, or that I am going to be on a 22 hour flight and hardly survived the 1 ½ hour one from Grand Rapids (headache and loss of appetite/not happy tummy), but something’s up. I'm probably even nervous about the guy from the UK that I contacted though craigslist who has good FIFA tickets… he “has proof” that they are authentic and can meet up in Durban, but he is asking $350 for them, twice as much as face value. Hmm… I should probably talk to someone about this before I get too excited about the potential purchase.
Anyway, it is 5:40 p.m. and I am in terminal E16, looking out the window at the jet that is taking us to Johannesburg. Its jets are approximately 3 times longer than me in diameter. Crazy. I also couldn’t help but smile as I sat down in the gate area. There’s families that obviously have some sort of African heritage, and it shows with their bright eclectic outfits and distinctive accents. I could for the most part tell who was going there for the world cup because I counted 6 futbol jerseys out of the probable 30 of us waiting. I am just a mixed bag of emotions. Going to walk around to get out of this funk, maybe skip or do some jumping jacks before I have to board this heinous plane ride…haha
(30 minutes later) Now I'm in a cafe. I’m too cheap to pay for wifi in the airport, so I’ve been doing all communicating though my phone, and looking around for free internet (Dad I told you that data plan would pay off!). I thought one of the bars would have free wifi, and I got to Sojourner's Cafe, in hope it would be free, but it wasn't. The waiter noticed my subtle frustration, and with my kissing up I was able to get the locked password so I could briefly get on here. Derric, your hospitality and charm has awarded you a mention in my post, you should be proud of yourself! :P Anyway, Dad just called and he confirmed my gut feeling that I should get going because my plane departs in an hour.
Next time I post I should be at my destination! :):):)

1 comment:

  1. Just looked at your flight plan. 2 hours from landing and you are just coming over land of Africa. I can see you looking out the window seat and your mind just wandering.....what can I do for these people and this land. You are so much in your element. I can't think of how much the people will love you for who you are and how much you have to offer them.

    Lots of love....Dad

    ReplyDelete