Thursday, June 3, 2010

Life on and around 3rd

I'm here! My flight in Atlanta was delayed, and then we had to wait behind 16 other planes that were trying to leave the runway before my plane could depart. It was ridiculous to see the line of jets, but I am somewhat proud to say that every flight I have been on thus far has been delayed (that's 5 flights people!). I liked the longer flight soooo much more than the short 1 1/2 hour one because I was fed well, watched good movies, sat next to some awesome people, and saw Akon in first class.
Arriving in Africa, there was nothing but seemingly red barren desert and mountains, a terrain that was intricately designed by the elements that sweep across it. Because it is winter here, when we arrived the sun had set and it was dark, but it was still a lovely sight to see, as Johannesburg is a very large and wide-spread city, and I've been informed its a lot bigger than L.A. The airport was lovely, and I just stood in the welcome hallway, staring at the vibrant reds, greens and yellows that flooded the walls and assembled as World Cup designs. World cup logos, emblems, and images were everywhere- walls, support beams, doors, coke machines, luggage carts, the floor... it was certainly a neat place to experience my first encounter of South African culture.
I was able to find my driver that took me to my hotel, and he informed me a lot about the local culture and dangers of the area. I got to my hotel, Life on 3rd, and met Damien, the manager that I've been in contact with. He is hilarious and very hospitable, and put me and another guy in a honeymoon suite-style room with a double bed and toilet and shower in the wide open. He assumed we had met on some internet dating site because Ross (the guy I planned this part of the trip with) told him that we had never met before. That was a good laugh. He also did the whole honeymoon suite-style room with the other 2 guys that are in the program with us, but luckily Damien switched us to a different room.
We went out to get me some dinner and I discovered the restaurant employees to be overwhelmingly inviting, to the point of pushiness. Every restaurant we walked past they gestured toward us that they had a table of 4 waiting for us, right then. While eating dinner I mentioned that I liked the architecture, and the guys laughed. "You mean the barbed wire and electrical fences? Yeah, that does add a nice touch.." they said. It was dark out so I haven't seen the houses in the daylight, but I could certainly hear the humming of the electricity as we walked back. As I paid more attention, I noticed everything is high security-ADT and security signs are ubiquitous.
It is 10:50 p.m. here, and my clock on my computer is really throwing me off. It says that it's 4:50 p.m. Damien was surprised and confused as to why we "little roosters" weren't going out tonight. Everyone is still feeling a bit jet lagged, and I am going to go to sleep because I hardly slept on my flight. We also have a full itinerary tomorrow. We are getting up early to eat some special breakfast that Damien is making us (some dish baked with a lot of meat and milk and eggs poured over the top of it, as well as pancake bread with apricot jam), heading out to the Cradle of Humankind Caves (oldest on earth I believe?), then to Lion/Crocodile park, and finally meeting up with our program at the airport. Should be fun!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you arrived safely. Sounds like you are in good hands! Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how was breakfast? Did you eat the meat? Is it going to be hard being a vegetarian? so happy that you arrived safely. sounds like you have met some awesome people already! Love you and be safe!

    - XOXO - Auntie Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the text you sent me about Akon - I was at work and it was a lovely surprise :) Sounds like you are having a fabulous time so far! Can't wait to read more!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i know u are in south africa, but i just wanted to let you know that the trampoline in our backyard has been revived!!! :D
    Miss you and love you!
    <3 Heather

    ReplyDelete