Sunday, June 6, 2010

so. different.

Johannesburg is so different, but in the best way possible. Every one is kind, and just wants to wave and smile and make sure you are loving Africa to the fullest extent. I don't mind long car rides because the scenery is so intriguing and passing vehicles are entertaining. I'm just getting use to the whole driving on the left side of the road thing, but all of the larger vehicles that pass our caravan are always waving at us, asking where we are from and carrying on the conversation until one of the vehicles pulls away. One of the coolest vehicles passed us today: It was a bus taxi that had South African flags and mementos plastered on the windows-at least the windows that weren't open with limbs hanging out. As the literally bouncing bus passed, we heard the chanting of "Bafana Bafana!!" and vuvuzela's piercing the air to the beat of a popular African song that is always on the radio. I am certain there is no lack of support for Bafana Bafana, and I'm pretty sure i'll be bringing back something that supports them too. Yesterday we went to the Apartheid Museum that had a Nelson Mandela exhibit. Today we took a day trip to Soweto. It included visits to Soccer City (the main World Cup stadium), views unlike any in the world, the Hector Pieterson Museum, and Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu's houses. I have learned so much about Africa and their culture just within the past weekend I've been here, it is truly a remarkable place to witness. I also love all of the other students that are on the trip. Everyone is pretty outgoing and fun, and wants to get the most out of this experience. It was already brought up tonight how much it's gonna stink to go home and separate in the states. -But anyway, tonight is our last night staying in this random monastery in Johannesburg until as we leave for Durban in the morning. I have been having some meat here and there, as the main staples at our meals have been salad, sweet potatoes, and rice.
I wish I could go into detail about all of my fun and heinous experiences, but I can't. I would love to blog everyday about what I've done, but internet is terribly expensive here. Apparently it costs the equivalent of $1 for every page loaded or re-loaded, which means just getting on here and making a post is going to cost at least $5. So I don't know how frequent my posts are going to be from here on out, but there are plenty of internet cafes in Durban so I hope to make it at least once a week. 4 DAYS UNTIL THE WORLD CUP!!!!

2 comments:

  1. The video that you have a link too has a very catchy song - it'll be stuck in my head for awhile. I'm so happy that you have this opportunity :) Enjoy yourself and cheer on the US for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We listened to the music and imagined you dancing to it! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete