Monday, June 21, 2010

No such thing as all work and no play

This weekend was a much-needed break from a long week with Whizzkids and the constant business of our academic schedule. Friday I was picked up at 4 a.m. to head for Jburg for the USA vs. Slovenia match. We got there and did the “park and ride” service to the stadium, where we rode a double-decker bus. Of course we sat at the top of the bus, conducting patriotic songs like the country hit “Proud to be an American” and “God Bless America”, and they infamously carried on throughout the rest of our day. The game was a blast, it was fun meeting other Americans and sharing in the camaraderie of supporting our country. I haven’t been able to check out much media about the game itself, but I do know that I’m still celebrating that 3rd goal that would’ve won us the game.
Saturday we returned, and just hung out with the family. We watched Harry Potter and Hannah and I made the popcorn (the kind where the oil and kernels are separate) I brought from home. It was an entertaining sight to see us swirl the large pot, because I know for a fact that I cannot do it as handily as my dad does. But our family certainly loved the popcorn, and is excited for us to make the few other bags I brought.
Sunday we left for a resort along the South Coast, where the only plan was to arrive at noon and leave the next day. At the resort our chalets a.k.a mini houses were a 5 minute walk from the Indian Ocean beachfront, which is were everyone spent the afternoon playing football, getting tackled by waves, and exploring the rocky formations up the coast. We let loose at night, and I was up at 5:30 a.m. with some other people so we could catch the sunrise. We arrived at the beach a little early, but the view was spectacular as we sat atop the rocks watching the sun rise over the horizon, listening to the soundtrack of the crashing tide. Later there was a whale that came unusually close to the coast. He showed off flipping and splashing like Free Willy, it was really cool. The film crew for Blue Crush 3 (a surfing movie) and the Algeria soccer team was also staying in the same area as us. –Yeah, this place was legit.
It was interesting to see how the north coast, the coast right in the city is predominately black and colored people, and the south coast, in a more desolate and vacation-type area is predominately white people. It is so easy to identify what areas are affluent and what areas aren't. There were plenty more sellers of typical trinkets and such along south beach because the locals know north beach-goers are more likely to spend a few extra rand on some silly little toy or piece of jewelry.
I find myself going to bed earlier and earlier here, as I am usually conked out by 10 p.m. - and this is with me sleeping during every van ride (whether its 6 hours to Jburg or 30 minutes to the SIT offices). Tomorrow is the Algeria game, which should be even more fun than the Slovenia game. I can’t wait to use my new digital camera that I had to buy because my old one oh so conveniently decided to break itself beyond immediate repair. I used my camera at the beach this weekend, and after seeing some of the shots I snapped, considered dropping out of school to sell postcards in South Africa. The only postcards I can find here are of cartoon lions and rhinos, so if I can’t find some good scenic ones soon, I might have to set up shop to help others with this problem (haha, jk). Also, I want to make my family an “American dinner” soon. Anyone have suggestions? Let me know!

P.S. Happy Anniversary to my wonderful Mom and Dad, who have been married for 20 years! I would not be here if it weren’t for your continual love and support (meaning you keep putting money in my bank account while I'm here :P )

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Tori! We spent the first hour of our anniversary with Kyle in the downstairs closet due to a tornado warning...but thankfully it passed by fast. Your account manager(a.k.a. Dad) has scheduled a meeting with you upon your arrival home:). You have the worst luck with cameras so I pray this one lasts for awhile! Is baked potato bar american? How about hamburgers and strawberry shortcake? Take care and God Bless, Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....The coast sounds amazing. Actually all of it sounds amazing and beautiful. I can't wait to see all of the pictures. Have you put any on FB? Dale was able to get ahold of the photographer who took the picture and he said that he had another shot of you and was going to try and send it to us. I will let you know if we hear from him.

    American food - grape salsa, mini meat loaves, macaroni salad, sweet potato fries or regular fries!

    Gotta get back to work!

    Love ya, Auntie Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh.... And what is your definition of "colored people" ? Just curious. I didn't think that term was used much these days!!!

    :) - Auntie Em

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm exhausted and I only saw the 2nd half! People went nuts in BW3's. I lost my voice(thank goodness I'm done teaching my class) but it was worth it! To see Landon Donovan crying after the match truly tells how much the sport means to him. If you can get tickets for Saturday, like Nike says....Just Do It! Burgers with all the fixins, fries(or sliced potatoes), baked beans and fresh fruit over ice cream! Lots of Love! D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That game must have been amazing to be at in person! I know I was jumping on couches when when Mr. Donovan scored :P Like your Dad said, if possible, you should try to get tickets for Saturday!

    An American meal? Burger and fries with all toppings!

    Miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete