Monday, June 14, 2010

"So wave your [American] flag" -K'Naan

Friday was the opening day for the World Cup, and we headed to the Gateway Mall to start off our day. It was obvious that Gateway was where all the richer people shopped, as the mall had 3 stories and multiple high-end shops. At one point I joined a dance competition after learning the diski dance, and witnessed a jubilant parade of Bafana Bafana supporters that caused a ruckus in the congested mall walkways. It was a morning full of yellow jerseys and vuvuzela echoes, propelling the electric mood into full force. Leaving the mall we went to the Fan Park at the North Beach beachfront, which quickly filled to its 25,000 person capacity. Our group was situated right in the middle towards the front for both the opening ceremony and opening match that they projected onto a jumbo screen. My empathy got the best of me as the emotions of the locals ran high during the powerful opening ceremony. Looking like a bum with teary eyes, beach-blown hear and no Bafana Bafana gear, some generous guys outfitted me with a South African tattoo and armband, and life was a party from there on out. I cannot describe in words the experience of sharing in that joyous moment with the proud Africans, it is an experience I will never forget. I will also never forgive myself for being so hungry at the halftime break that I went to get food and missed the first goal scored in WC2010, by Bafana Bafana. I stood there with my falafel sandwich in one hand, and my South African flag in the other, dancing in the sand at the Fan Park as supporters rejoiced, embraced, vuvuzela’d (I’m officially making that a verb) and literally ripped their shirts off like the Incredible Hulk. Although the match ended in a draw, everyone left in high spirits.
Saturday was spent at an urban facility that had a big field as we went through training for a program called Whizzkids. It’s a grassroots soccer program that teaches kids about HIV/AIDS and healthy lifestyle choices while using various aspects of soccer as a vehicle for knowledge. Whizzkids is a part of FIFA’s “Football for Hope” initiative, and as a part of volunteering for the week-long camp we get to take all of the kids (there’s about 100 kids/program, and we’re running 2 programs in the same week) to a match at the Durban Stadium, courtesy of Sony Entertainment. I am so excited for the program, especially as I will be helping at the Umlazi camp, which is situated in a township. FYI - this is the best time to do the camp because although it is winter and kids are usually in school, all South African children are on holiday for the duration of the World Cup. The justification for this is that traffic on the roads and highways should decrease significantly and allow traffic traveling to and from games to have a quicker/more efficient trip.
Later Saturday night we went back to the Fan Park for our USA vs. England game. It was totally different from the day before because we were wearing our own country’s colors, more enthusiastic in our cheers, and got to sing our national anthem at the front of the park for all the foreigners to hear. Although that enthusiasm quickly subsided after England’s goal, we soon were able to shove our pathetic but nonetheless game-tying goal in their face, and it felt gooood. I believe my favorite quote of the night was said from a random USA fan to an England fan I was talking to which was “Congratulations, man! Your team is just as good as us, and you created the sport” Today is also my host-dad's birthday, so i cannot wait to go home and eat. Mama Dolly is taking great care of me and Hannah (my roommate), and tonight will be a celebration. Look for me on tv, I should be wearing a lime bandana at the Spain vs. Switzerland game surrounded by a bunch of little kids, and wearing my flag cape at the USA vs. Slovenia game. Hope all is well in the states!

4 comments:

  1. All is well here at home. Rooted on the USA on Saturday too! Keep writing because I love reading. Have been anxiously awaiting a post from you for a few days. Make sure you write about your celebration...hope you made one of your special homemade cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are having the time of your life. Yes, keep writing. I love to read your blog! the soccer camp sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    Love you! Auntie Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they don't have an extra ticket for me, at least bring me home the ticket stubs! I think mom already had the 'diski' down. That's what she was doing when I met her! Lots of love....don't forget a program for me!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your posts! I laughed quite loud when I read the exchange between the US & England fans. You MUST teach me the diski dance...I'll be attempting it until you get home. Have sooooo much fun at the games - I wish I didn't have to work so I could look for you on TV. Say 'Hello' to Fernando Torres for me when you're at the Spain-Switzerland game. ;) He's the cute blondie that plays for Espana.

    Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete